Mugford forced out of England Counties' tour of Georgia
DEVON fly-half Dan Mugford has been forced to leave England Counties’ tour of Georgia without playing a game due to injury.
Mugford and fellow Plymouth Albion player John Kelly had been named in the England 24-man squad for the two-match tour after playing for Devon in the County Championship.
But Mugford was not named it the squad to play a Georgia XV on Friday and the player has now confirmed he is returning home early.
He said: “Absolutely gutted to have had to leave the England Counties tour early due to injury.
“It’s been an incredibly frustrating season with my body letting my down on numerous occasions.
“I’m going to take some time this summer to strip things back and re-build from the bottom. Down, but by no means am I out.”
Forward Kelly is named among the replacements for Friday’s game, but could start against the same opponents on Tuesday.
England Counties v Georgia XV
15. Nick Hankin (Hertfordshire Bishops Stortford)
14. Callum McKenzie (Durham DMP)
13. James Tincknell (Yorkshire Hull Ionians)
12. Kieran Moffat (Kent Old Elthamians)
11. Craig Holland (Surrey Chinnor)
10. Greg Lound (Surrey Rosslyn Park)
9. Jack Daly (Kent Blackheath)
1. George Porter (Gloucestershire Cinderford)
2. Neil Briggs (Cheshire Sale FC)
3. Danny Herriott (Kent Blackheath)
4. Bob Birtwell (Lancashire Sedgley Park)
5. Joe Makin (c) (Yorkshire Hull Ionians)
6. Andrew Hughes (Lancashire Sale FC)
7. Stephen Leonard (Kent Cambridge University)
8. Harry Hone (Gloucestershire Cinderford)
16. Nathan Morris (Kent Old Elthamians)
17. Henry Paul (Surrey Esher)
18. Tom Williams (Kent Blackheath)
19. John Kelly (Devon Plymouth Albion)
20. Oli Hogdson (Durham DMP)
21. Dan Smart (Kent Canterbury)
22. Lewis Minikin (Yorkshire Hull Ionians)
23. Alex Ducker (Cornwall Camborne)
24. Matt Hema (Eastern Counties Cambridge )